Sunday

I killed it

I didn't mean to... I realized too late that I'd done what I'd not meant to do.


(I need to get this off my chest, but I can't tell anyone out loud. It's too horrible.)



There were two of them there- together. I saw a very pretty little pair of eyes looking up at me. She turned around to go away, but came back and looked up at me- again with those sweet eyes. I realized then that they must have been together. The one I had just killed must have been a friend or family member. I kept apologizing to her, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do it- I wish I could take it back; undo it. I'm so sorry..." She couldn't understand me. She wandered around another moment, looking up at me once more- as if seeking an answer.


Then she went away, alone. Certainly hurting. And it was my fault.




How many times have I hurt my children, my spouse, my friends, strangers.....?


Do I feel so bad? Accidental or not, do I give them the kind of apology I gave this poor little creature today?




True, it was a violent attack- stabbed with a pitchfork. But it affected me on a very deep level- more than just the guilt of having mortally wounding a rodent. I realized in the instant it happened that I am guilty of wielding a pitchfork on a regular basis. In the usual course of a day I am deadly.



I say things without thinking, make crass and critical comments. I deny my full attention. I fail to give appropriate focus and time. I hurt and hate and kill with my actions and words.




In dealing with children even a harsh look can be very hurtful- but I do it to my own all of the time. I glare to stop arguements, shoot daggers to avert unwanted comments, give glances of disdain. Why doesn't it bother me like the mortifying look from a small animal in my backyard?


Maybe I need to focus more on the eyes looking back at me. Maybe I need to see the eyes I meet through the course of each day in the same way I met the eyes of little Ms Newly-Widowed-Mousie out in my yard. If I look at others with the realization that they have needs and hurts I will see with new vision. I can look at a mouse and know that her life is changed by what I've just done by a gardening accident. Certainly I can treat human beings with the same compassion I give my garden pests.
I think I'll try. I'll start looking at the eyes that look back at me with the realization that maybe they're hurting... and maybe I've been the one wielding the pitchfork.

No comments:

Post a Comment